Wednesday 28 December 2016

Assembled Regression

Regression

As the end of 2016 looms, I've been looking over the goals I've completed this year and - perhaps in a bit of panicked, 'I've not done enough!' kind of way - been considering what I can achieve in the last few days of the year.

One of the goals was this one:
015. Create an assemblage
I've been procrastinating over this goal for ages, but today I finally knuckled down and got it done!


The items I used came from a number of sources, collected up over the years for this or that reason, or some found objects collected for another goal. The old London Transport Bus ticket (stamped for 7 old pence!) was found in an old book I found in a charity shop. The book was redonated, but I kept the ticket :) The screw goes through the punch hole.


Through this project, I finally found a use for some things that I'd been hanging on to for ages--a single earring, an escutcheon that ended up unsuitable for what I bought it for, a broken link from a watch.


This doll head has been floating around in my cupboard for years. I'd always intended to use it for a creative project of some kind, so this was another object that finally found a permanent home.


I bought this photo from a secondhand shop, intending to try out some photo embroidery. But I had no inspiration, so this sweet-looking lady lived in a stack of other photos and pictures cut from magazines for some time! Embellished with broken jewellery and a tiny hand, she has found her place.


The bottle was last seen in 'A Dose to Comatose', my photos from Delightful Aberrations' theme challenge a few months ago. I managed to stain the cork green with ink, and away the bottle went into the Cupboard of No Return (alongside some mental cursing) until I dug it out today and thought 'Ooh, this could work...'

...I could totally say I intended it to be that way, but I'm not a visual arts student, so I don't have to explain or give reason for anything ;)


The finished piece could have ended up several different ways, as once I'd set everything out that I'd collected, I realised I'd got a lot more than I needed.
But after some playing around, some contemplating of lightbulbs (yes, lightbulbs) and painstaking cutting out of a printed butterfly, I was ready to go!


Once I'd figured out roughly where everything was going to fit, I got gluing, using E6000 for the heavier stuff and the paper, and superglue for the smaller surface areas such as the clock parts.

A few parts of this were really fiddly (basically it's a nuisance to put screws in things when the screws are tiny and the space you have for your hand is also tiny) and I changed some bits/added pieces as I went along.


For a second attempt (the first being in school, and made mostly of boxes and plastic bottle tops) I'm really pleased with how this turned out!

And, despite what I said above about not needing to explain, this one does has a meaning of sorts (unlike my school-made assemblage):
This piece explores the concept of past life regression, and the lives uncovered through it.
The particular details of those lives are left open to interpretation--you can make up the stories behind those lives for yourself.

Well, I had a lot more fun making this assemblage than my first one. I think I'll put this up on the wall!

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing - the details are fabulous! Especially love the face peering through the escutcheon, the music clefs and the various tickets (to me, they seem like memories). The concept behind it that you explained is also fascinating too!

    ReplyDelete