Thursday 1 September 2016

Khmer 'core


It recently came to my attention that despite my attempts to listen to bands from all over the world, a lot of what I've listened to for this goal has been from the same parts of the world--mostly the west, with the East popping by in the form of J-rock and K-pop.

So I spent some time searching online for acts from countries whose home-grown music I haven't yet listened to, and from this week onward I'll be doing my best to listen to those, instead of acts from countries already covered by this goal.
My list is long enough that I could stretch out this challenge for another year, but one year is enough!

Here's this week's new-to-me artists...


NO FOREVER
A metalcore and post-hardcore band from Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Looking at YouTube, it seems this six-member band do a lot of cover versions, though the video I've embedded here is one of their original songs. The sound quality isn't great, but they only have live recordings, and beggars can't be choosers when it comes to live videos!
In the process of trying to find out more about them, discovered that the band's frontwoman has ruffled a few feathers in their home country, for dressing 'like a boy'. This seems mad to me, because her style wouldn't be considered outlandish for a woman in the UK!
Though the music in the video above isn't completely my thing, I liked some of their cover versions, maybe because some of the recordings are a better quality so it's easier to hear.
It's a shame this act doesn't have more coverage, or music videos online, as it would have been nice to see and hear a professional recording. Still, they're worth a listen!
NO FOREVER on Facebook



Sliten6ix
Another Cambodian band, this time hardcore/deathcore.
I'll admit right away that this is not the kind of music I listen to.
Despite that (and my complete lack of knowledge when it comes to this genre) it's obvious that these guys know what they're doing. The vocalist can growl and shout with the best of them, and the other members know how to handle their instruments.
If you're into this genre, I'd say to check out this band!
Sliten6ix Website


Well, that's it for this week. Come back again to find out which country next week's new-to-me acts are from!

No comments:

Post a Comment