Thursday 25 August 2016

Thinking Outside the Music Box


It's music goal time of the week again, and this time around I listened to artists I read about in Viva Brighton, a local magazine full of local art, entertainment, history and other things! (There's also a version of the magazine for Lewes!)


Joseph Tawadros
This Egyptian musician grew up in Australia and plays the oud, among other instruments! On his album 'World Music', he plays 52 different instruments, with his brother James joining in on 11 different percussion instruments. Which is pretty impressive, really!
His music is the kind of thing that gets put in the 'world music' category due to the different influences involved. Just one piece may start off with a real Middle Eastern vibe, but twist and change throughout to become something with more of a Jazz feel.
He has multiple albums under his belt, some featuring solo oud whilst others include multiple instruments played by a number of other musicians.
I found Joseph Tawadros' music really atmospheric and unusual; it really provokes the imagination so would be great to listen to for creative inspiration--or simply for enjoyment and daydreaming!
Joseph Tawadros Official Site


The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band
I've previously heard of this British band, but never heard them. When I saw an interview with saxophonist Rodney Slater in Viva Brighton, I decided to look the band up! (Okay, so originally I looked Rodney Slater up, but YouTube insisted on giving me lots of search results about the former US Secretary of Transportation, who has the same name, but wasn't quite what I was looking for!)
Formed in 1962, their music is a real mish-mash of genres combined with humour and avant-garde art. So basically, their performances and lyrics can turn out a bit mad, which is by no means a criticism (the world needs this kind of craziness).
Though vocalist Vivian Stanshall passed away in 1995, the band still perform in various shapes and forms and names, so the surrealness continues.
I found their music fun to listen to, and enjoyed watching the videos I found on YouTube! Definitely a fun band.
The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, etc Official Website

That's it for this week!
I'm glad to have picked up this month's edition of Viva Brighton, as both of these acts turned out pretty inspiring and interesting. It's great to happen upon acts that think outside the box and do something a little different, whether musically or visually!

As usual, these and all artists previously listened to for this goal can be read about on my music tag, or listened to on my YouTube playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment