Monday 8 August 2016

The Silence of the Shadowbug

Wings
As usual, I wanted to participate in the theme challenge on Delightful Aberrations this week.
Problem is, I'm having a bit of trouble with inspiration as of late.

Tongue
Despite that, I ended up working from three of the themes, and ended up with two ideas.
These first two photos were taken using the contrast prompt, with the hook prompt added in for the second image.
These photos are of shadows on a white background. Since my camera wanted to interpret the entire picture as different shades of grey (?!) I edited it in Photoshop Elements to make the colours more accurate...then decided to go the whole hog and whack that contrast right up.

For my second idea (which sprung to mind after I'd edited these photos) I used the quiet theme.
I.D.
Ever wonder why someone is quiet?
Thoughtlessly-spoken words pile up, evolutionary survival tactics like negative bias storing them for further use--

Children should be seen and not heard.
Haha, loser.
You're boring.
Be Quiet. 
 
Such words are easily forgotten by the speaker, but not by the recipient.

I chose to combine four photos into a modern photobooth-style image because those thoughtless, unkind words all contribute to what makes the whole person.

...wow, I got pretty serious there didn't I?!
These photos were taken with my phone, because I'd already put my camera away after taking the first set.

I don't think any of the ideas I've used this week are particularly new or inventive, but I was determined not to skip another week of this challenge!

Maybe I'll try to do something more creative (or more uplifting!) next week.

1 comment:

  1. The top two look like ink splashes of contemporary art. The high contrast monochrome, together with the types of shapes you've used, makes them really aesthetically appealing!

    Also, the "quiet" set are very different, but also visually striking. They remind me somewhat of photos from domestic violence awareness or the NOH8 campaigns. I know you mentioned that the topic was "pretty serious", but I think it's perfectly okay to have photography that conveys a message like this or makes people uncomfortable sometimes too. :)

    ReplyDelete