Thursday 22 January 2015

Suggested Scenery

Whilst I post pieces for my painting goal here, I also share them on a particular art group on Facebook. Recently I grumbled a little about lacking in inspiration, and had some great suggestions from other members...

(Have edited out userpics/surnames because privacy rocks)
So, I took those suggestions and got painting! Thanks girls!

Mourners of Mountain Moon, January 2015
Mourners of Mountain Moon
Terry (who also blogs over at Write.Create.Connect.) suggested falling snow, or a girl with head bowed and a single tear.
Alright, so I didn't get to the falling snow part, but from her suggestion, I ended up with this!
I tried to use very pale colours for the skin and tears of the characters. Originally they were going to be flower-like, but I decided to go in a different direction. The mountain part really happened because I'd just finished reading The Hobbit (which I'll blog about another time) and my brain was full of the Misty Mountain!
Some of my moon craters ended up a little wonky but overall this turned out better than I expected.
Medium: Watercolour on watercolour paper
Size: A5

Morning on the Shores of Mist, January 2015

Morning on the Shores of Mist
This one evolved from Allyson's suggestion of monochromatic landscape. It's probably also the fastest picture I've ever painted!  I wanted to capture the eeriness, desolation and silence of a misty early morning, when anyone might feel they are far off from the rest of humanity: alone in the quiet and calm before the world awakens, the mist clears, and reality emerges in all its largeness and noise.
Medium: Watercolour on watercolour paper
Size: A5

Catch the Moon, Steal the Stars, January 2015
Catch the Moon, Steal the Stars
Jo suggested that I googled for amazing photography to find some inspiration. Which is what I did. After spending some time oohing and ahhing at the fantastic photographs, I found some inspiration through several different images, and came up with this!
I really enjoyed painting this one. It's one of my favourites out of all the paintings I've finished for this goal and I am so pleased how it turned out, especially the sky.
Medium: Watercolour on watercolour paper
Size: A5

Thanks again to Jo, Terry and Allyson for the inspiration! I was able to kickstart my painting again because of you! :)

These three paintings are towards goal #55 on The List:
055. Create 52 paintings in 1 year
See more paintings for this goal.

2 comments:

  1. They're all awesome! I love the second one :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really amazing. I love all of them :).

    ReplyDelete