Thursday 1 January 2015

A Little Light Reading


So 2015 is upon us, and whilst some may be getting on with their New Years Resolutions, I'm pottering about working on The List.

It's no surprise that, when asked what I wanted for Christmas, my answer was "Books". Or more specifically, "Here's a link to my Amazon wishlist."

My parents gifted me the above books, and very happy I am about them, too!

So I've added them to my reading pile...

Some people have shoes. I have books.

The most terrible thing about this pile of books is that some of them were given to me for Christmas 2013! Oh dear...

Does anyone else end up with so many books that they get lost amongst each other?

Part of my problem is that, being a volunteer, I have access to some incredibly cheap second-hand books, and when cheap books are concerned, I am very easily tempted.

Some in this pile are books I've read in the past, but want to re-read--namely 'The Hobbit', because I recently saw the last film, and 'Good Omens' because BBC Radio 4 made a radio adaptation, which was aired at the end of the year (you can listen to it here, wherever you are in the world).

Anyway, for those squinting at the picture and trying to figure out what is there, here is the list (starting with the top of the left pile):
  1. The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien (re-read)
  2. Pop Co - Scarlett Thomas
  3. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke
  4. The Devil and Miss Prym - Paulo Coelho
  5. The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters - G. W. Dahlquist
  6. Superhero for Hire - William Shaw
  7. The Sacred Blood - Michael Bynres
  8. Inferno - Dante
  9. Annie Proulx - Close Range
  10. Eastern Religions - General Editor Michael D. Coogan (partially read)
  11. Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles - Margaret George
  12. Brida - Paulo Coelho
  13. The Silmarillion - J.R.R. Tolkien
  14. The Children of Hurin - J.R.R. Tolkien
  15. The Englishman Who Posted Himself and Other Curious Objects - John Tingey
  16. Vampire Stories - Edited by Richard Daley
  17. Malleus Maleficarum (partially read)
  18. Egyptian and Ancient Eastern Paintings (partially read)
  19. Good Omens - Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman (re-read)
  20. The Listener - Tove Jansson
  21. Vita Brevis - Jostein Gaarder
  22. The Song of Achilles - Madeline Miller
  23. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs
  24. The Art of Asking - Amanda Palmer
  25. Counselling for Toads - Robery de Board
  26. We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver
  27. Was Dir Nicht Angehört - Manfred Hausmann (for goal #078. Read a fiction book in another language)
  28. 50 Psychology Ideas You Really Need to Know - Adrian Furnham
  29. Like the Flowing River - Paulo Coelho
  30. The Science of Discworld III: Darwin's Watch - Terry Pratchett, Ian Steward & Jack Cohen
  31. Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
  32. Taking the Piss - Adam Hart-Davis & Emily Troscianko
  33. My Cat Saved My Life - Phillip Schreibman (have since finished this one)
  34. Angelology - Danielle Trussoni
  35. Mayhem - Sarah Pinborough
  36. Company of Liars - Karen Maitland
  37. The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld - Terry Pratchett (compiled by Stephen Briggs)

I plan to start the year with:
  • Good Omens - Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman
  • The Art of Asking - Amanda Palmer
  • The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien
All being well, by the end of the month I'll have a post to share about them!

1 comment:

  1. It seems you have a thoroughly interesting and diverse bunch of books to read. Hope you enjoy them! :)

    ReplyDelete