Thursday 30 October 2014

National Novel Writing Month


Tomorrow is Halloween and that means one thing (asides the dressing up and copious amounts of candy). National Novel Writing Month is almost upon us!

I've participated four years running, so of course, joining in again made it onto The List:
032. Take up the NaNoWriMo challenge again
For the uninitiated, the idea of NaNoWriMo is to write a novel of 50,000 words (or more) during the month of November. It sounds like a lot, but is actually around 1667 words per day.
The official NaNoWriMo website has a great FAQ which explains the ins and outs of participating, and of course, winning!

I have added one of their handy word count widgets to this blog, which you'll find on the right hand side :)


What I like about National Novel Writing Month is that the 'race' to get those 50k words written by the end of the month is enough to give me the kick up the backside that I need to write some of the longer stories I have inspiration for. My very first NaNoWriMo story was an idea I'd had since I was a child! Admittedly it shows in the storyline, but it was satisfying to finally write it :)


This year, I'm giving myself a little more of a challenge regarding plot--I plan to write a supernatural story that has been half-formed in my mind for quite some time.
For a change, I've planned out this story a little, too. I think it will require a little more brain power than some of my previous attempts, which were simpler stories mostly written on the fly!

Of course, come 1st November, I might decide not to write my supernatural plot after all, and instead write about some more developed characters. Especially as my supernatural story characters don't even have names yet. Well, it looks like I'll be making it up as I go along!

If you're a participant, feel free to add me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment