Wednesday 27 August 2014

Fairground at Night

Having realised that I have uttered the words, "I really need to buy masking fluid" a few too many times, I did something radical and bought some. ;)

Then I used it to paint this:

Fairground at Night, August 2014
Fairground at Night
For a first time at using masking fluid, I'm pleased with how this turned out!

The bad: I ripped a little bit of the paper when I was removing the masking fluid. I could've sworn the paint was dry, but obviously not. Ended up touching in the necessary parts with extra paint--thankfully it was a part where I'd used paint straight from the block, rather than a mixed colour!
As the fluid is white, and the paper is white, there were a couple of places where I didn't get the fluid down (or notice that I hadn't got it down). Next time I'll have to take extra care with this, and hold the page in different light to be certain I've covered everything.

The good: I LOVE how the sky turned out! This wasn't completely planned; originally I was just going to give it a graduated wash. On the spur of the moment I decided to give it more of a clouded effect.
Am also happy with the merry-go-round, despite the problems detailed above (and the fact I smeared colour onto some of the white bits I'd just uncovered!) It took what felt like an age to mark everything out before laying down the masking fluid or painting, but I think it was worth it.


Am hoping to get around to playing more with this masking fluid. I want to make sure I use it all up rather than let it dry up in the bottle!

1 comment:

  1. This looks SOOO AWESOME!! :) I had to look up what masking fluid is, but it seems really awesome, as far as I can tell. I also love the clouded effect, and what you did in the masking-fluided part looks very detailed. :) Really, really lovely!!

    ReplyDelete