Saturday 12 April 2014

My First Craft Fair


...the title sounds like a kiddy toy, doesn't it? :)

As it says, today I sold at a craft fair for the first time! In doing so, I completed a goal from The List!
02. Sell things I've made at a craft fair.
I've been making jewellery for several years but only started selling last year. Mostly I make necklaces, but include earrings, rings, bracelets and brooches in my collection! Almost everything is one-off because I love unique things!
I incorporate vintage/retro/upcycled items into as much as possible so everything has its own little story to tell.



I've been trying to get into a craft fair for a long time but they get booked up really quickly. This time I was able to book months in advance, which is great as it gave me extra time to plan and source display. Please excuse the wonky-looking table--I used the panorama feature on my camera app! That's my Mum behind the table; she used to do craft fairs when I was small, so came to help out! She doesn't normally have a hole in her shoulder ;)


I made or customised almost everything used for display. This wooden crate came from a charity shop; I added hooks and the moss and toadstool decoration at the bottom. I also made the toadstool earring stand in the picture at the top of the post.


As it was my first fair, I didn't know what to bring along, so I ended up bringing everything! Usually I focus only on necklaces, but I recently made a bunch of bracelets and earrings too. Variation is always good, don't you think?


I promise that I didn't drink everything from all these bottles! Well, I drank most of the biggest one (but not all at once!)

We met some really nice people at the fair, also selling their homemade wares. Also met a couple of rude ones, but they're best left forgotten! Unfortuantely I didn't make much money - not even enough to recover the cost of the table - but it was the same for most of the stallholders there. The event was so quiet that a few sellers didn't sell anything! It's a shame, because there were some really nice, well-made items on sale. 


Despite not selling anything, it was still good to get my jewellery out there for people to see. I received lots of positive feedback from people, and made a couple of new contacts! It hasn't put me off doing craft fairs, though I think I'll avoid selling at fairs during half-term holidays in future. Here's hoping I can get into one at the end of the year, when people start thinking of Christmas!

In the meantime, I'll continue to sell on my Etsy shop, Little Deer Daydreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment